Venue: Cabinet Suite - Shire Hall, Gloucester. View directions
Contact: Jane Cleaver
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations by members of (a) personal interests (including their nature) and (b) prejudicial interests under the Code of Conduct.
Members noted that several members of Committee represented organisations involved in making bids for further Growth Deal monies.
The Chairman indicated that since this Committee was being asked to give their views on the proposed bids and was not the decision-making forum for the submitted bids, no formal declarations of interests were required. However, the Legal Advisor reminded members that it was, of course, necessary for them to consider whether they maintained an open mind to enable an objective assessment of the proposals being put forward by GFirst if they wished to take part in the matters before the Committee.
To consider the preliminary Gfirst LEP board prioritisation for the 23 bids submitted to them for further funding.
David Owen, Chief Executive, GFirst, informed the Committee of the LEP Board’s views on the 23 bids submitted for the additional resources likely to be allocated by the Government under the SEP Growth Deal Round 1.
Since Gloucestershire’s position following the initial distribution was unique in that all bids had been accepted, it had been necessary to establish clear criteria against which the bids could be considered. The criteria used were as set out on page 2 of the accompanying report. It was accepted that future bidding opportunities may have broader criteria. However it was important to prepare as much as possible based on the information currently available.
Mr Owen was pleased to report that a number of the bids submitted already met these criteria and that several others were at a stage where, following some additional work, the projects would be ready so that a quick response could be made to any further bidding round opportunities in 2015.
Referring to table on page 3 of the report, Mr Owen explained that the bids submitted had been placed into the following categories:
Ready for submission
· Royal Agricultural University - Innovation spaces for rural business and agricultural technology start-ups
· Retail Entrepreneurship
· Gloucestershire Science and Technology Park: Berkeley Green - Digital technology and Cyber Security Skills training
· Blackfriars and Quayside Regeneration (at reduced level of £4.13m)
At a stage for further work to form a ‘pipeline project’
· Technical Skills Training Centre - Poeton Industries
· Cheltenham Spa Rail Scheme
· Gloucester Railway Station
· GCC - Rail station improvements
· Lydney Transport Strategy - Newerne Street Link, Lydney Revolutions, Lydney/Whitecroft/ Parkend Cycleway
· Highways alterations to Oxstalls lane roundabout, to improve access to the Growth Hub and relieve congestion incurred due to increased traffic
· Improve access to RAU and South Chesterton site with roundabout on A433 & serviced routes into employment land
· GCC - Cycle improvements linking Cheltenham with Bishop’s Cleeve and at Stroud
· Improving Access to Business: Gloucester & Sharpness Canal Sustainable Transport Corridor
· Tewkesbury Town Centre Masterplan
Not yet ready or not met criteria or already allocated funds
· Gloucestershire STEM Centre Proposal
· Gloucestershire College - New college campus in Forest of Dean; Vocational and academic facilities
· Glevum Windows and Conservatories - expansion to existing premises
· Gloucestershire Science and Technology Park: Berkeley Green - Facilities to research, develop test & demonstrate a range of renewable energy options/ STEM skills/Specialist business support
· Growth Hub Innovation Technology Centre - Expansion to create new facility and equipment to deliver range of support and skills initiatives for innovation in manufacturing design & construction.
· Tewkesbury J9/A46 Ashchurch Proposal
· Cinderford Northern Quarter Site Preparation Works (both proposals)
· Destination Forest - Tourism developments - 5 Acres Development, Coleford, Cinderford Football club relocation, Lydney harbour Area Improvements
· GCC -Flood resilience schemes west and north of Gloucester.
In response to questions, Mr Owen explained that advice from the Dept for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) was to bid for more than the indicative maximum. If further prioritisation was required as the monies on offer ... view the full minutes text for item 10.