a) To receive an update on the Business Rate Pool (report attached);
b) To consider the following funding requests: -
1) Rail Investment Strategy, (ratification of the in-principle decision agreed at the Economic Growth Joint Committee meeting on 4 September 2019) (Appendix 1);
2) Request for funding from the Local Nature Partnership (LNP) in respect of Natural Capital Mapping (Appendix 2);
3) Request for funding from the Central Gloucestershire City Region Board (Appendix 3 - document to follow)
4) Request for funding from Cheltenham Borough Council in respect of the Cyber Central Project (Appendix 4 – document to follow)
Andrew Cummings, Section 151 Officer at Stroud District Council, gave an update on the Gloucestershire Business Rate Pilot Pool and the Strategic Economic Development Fund.
The following requests for funding were made at the meeting: -
1) Rail Investment Strategy, (ratification of an in-principle decision made on 4 September 2019) (Appendix 1);
The committee considered the request for funding made at the Economic Growth Joint Committee meeting held on 4 September 2019 for the commissioning of a Rail Investment Strategy (RIS) for Gloucestershire. The study will underpin GCC’s priorities for rail investment in the County and inform the ongoing review of the Gloucestershire Local Transport Plan (LTP). It will also form a key part of the emerging Local Industrial Strategy (LIS).
Subject to agreement from a meeting of the Gloucestershire Chief Executives Group on 10 June 2019, and the in principle agreement of this committee on 4 September 2019, the committee: -
RESOLVED to provide the additional £70,000 required in order to complete the proposed two phased approach for the Rail Study Commission.
2) Request for funding from the Local Nature Partnership (LNP) in respect of Natural Recovery Mapping (Appendix 2);
Seeking clarification on the statutory obligations of government legislation, (25 Year Environment Plan, Industrial Strategy and National Planning Policy Framework), and the amount of government funding anticipated for the proposals, (including anticipated maintenance costs), the committee deferred this item for further consideration. The decision to be considered at a reconvened meeting to be arranged in February 2020.
3) Request for funding from the Central Gloucestershire City Region Board (Appendix 3)
The committee noted an expression of interest for funding from the Strategic Economic Development Fund (SEDF) to fund the commissioning of work proposed by the newly established Central Gloucestershire City Region Board.
If successful, the request for funding to be used to assist in providing additional capacity and resources from which to support the strategic aims of the Board and the ambitions of Vision 2050. A key function of the Board would be to develop a vision for the future of Gloucestershire to 2050 and beyond. The vision to be incorporated into a high level masterplan, (a key document setting out the growth aims and priorities of the county), and to provide guidance on the development of future spatial and strategic plans.
An expression of interest was made in respect of £500,000 funding. Governance arrangements from which to manage the funds would be developed, including the ability to recruit the necessary staff support that might be required. Administration costs, fund holding and staff provision to be allocated to one or more partner bodies and funded jointly.
The outcomes of the investment, including key milestones of delivery, to be reported to the Gloucestershire Economic Growth Joint Committee and to Leadership Gloucestershire, (as the sponsoring and advisory body for the Programme Boards). To date, no new funding for this work had been received. Emphasis was placed on the understanding that the investment ... view the full minutes text for item 8