Agenda and minutes

Gloucestershire Joint Waste Committee
Tuesday 12 February 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Cabinet Suite - Shire Hall, Gloucester. View directions

Contact: Andrea Clarke 01452 324203 

Items
No. Item

75.

Declarations of interest

Please see note (a) at the end of the agenda.

Minutes:

No additional declarations made.

76.

Public Questions

To answer any written or oral questions about matters which are within the powers and duties of the committee.

 

The closing date/time for receipt of written questions is 6.00pm on 6 February 2019   (three clear working days before date of the meeting).  Please send questions to the Democratic Services Unit, marked for the attention of Stephen Bace (email: stephen.bace@gloucestershire.gov.uk)

 

An oral question may be asked by a member of the public if notice of the question is given by the questioner to Democratic Services at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting.

 

Depending on the nature of the questions asked it may not be possible to provide a comprehensive answer at the meeting, in which case a written answer will be supplied as soon as reasonably possible after the meeting.

 

Minutes:

No public questions received.

77.

Member Questions

 

To answer any written members’ questions about matters which are within the powers and duties of the committee. The closing date/time for receipt of written questions is 6.00pm on 6 February 2019   (three clear working days before date of the meeting).  Please send questions to the Democratic Services Unit, marked for the attention of Stephen Bace (email: stephen.bace@gloucestershire.gov.uk)

 

Minutes:

No member questions received.

78.

Minutes of the previous meeting - 4 December 2018 pdf icon PDF 79 KB

TO FOLLOW

Minutes:

The minutes were agreed and signed as a correct record.

79.

Business Plan 2019-22 pdf icon PDF 247 KB

To present a Business Plan (including the action plan) for agreement

Minutes:

79.1    Wayne Lewis, Head of Joint Waste Management, introduced the report by explaining its purpose was to set out a clear plan for the 2019/22 period, provide a draft budget to support the work of the Committee and support its decision making in accordance with the Inter-Authority Agreement.

 

79.2    Members attention was drawn to appendix 2 which outlined challenges facing the Committee going forward. They were informed that the Committee faced many external pressures and uncertainty with Brexit, growing global concern around plastic and food waste, and budget restraints.

 

79.3    Appendix 3 was also highlighted which set out timescales for the action plan up until 2022 including; Javelin Park mobilisation arrangements and Cheltenham’s departure from the partnership.

 

79.4    A member stressed their disappointment that the plan lacked an overall goal of reducing waste in Gloucestershire. It was highlighted that the amount of recycling had increased but overall waste being produced had also increased.

 

79.5    A request was made that page 13 on Appendix 3 row 1.4 was amended as it should read October 2019 not October 2020.

 

79.6    The Business Plan 2019-22 was agreed.

 

80.

Residual Waste Treatment and Waste Transfer Update pdf icon PDF 108 KB

Update on the construction and mobilisation arrangements for Javelin Park.

 

Updating on transfer arrangements and directions.

 

Minutes:

Wayne Lewis, Head of Joint Waste Management, outlined the report and members noted.

 

81.

Tipping Away Policy pdf icon PDF 132 KB

Briefing paper to summarise consultation responses and update on the adoption of a policy by GCC.

Minutes:

81.1    Andy Pritchard, Strategy & Development Manager, presented the findings of the GCC consultation regarding future adoption of a policy for the tipping away of waste outside district collection areas. The consultation was carried out with districts from November to January this year and was in response to a Cabinet decision in October 2018.

 

81.2    The purpose of the consultation was to test the application of a formula developed by the National Association of Waste Disposal Officers and to highlight any concerns. It was noted that no response was received from Gloucester City or Stroud District.

 

81.3    Members were informed that all districts Councils who made representations to the consultation highlighted the following similar concerns:

·         The model should allow full cost recovery;

·         It should be flexible to take account of different routes and vehicle types etc.

·         It should also take account of external factors such as traffic congestion; and

·         All respondents requested to be involved in agreeing the data used when arriving at a payment level.

81.4    It was concluded that the next stage was for GCC to review all consultation submissions before reaching a decision on the adoption of a tipping away policy.

 

81.5    Following discussions, the Committee agreed that even though the final decision would lie with the Cabinet at GCC, it would be useful for the members to be updated. Committee member and Cabinet member for Environment and Planning Cllr Nigel Moor, confirmed this would be appropriate for the next meeting.

 

81.6    There were several comments from members concerning what method would be most practical for different areas to deliver waste to Javelin Park, and the costs associated. In response, the Chair confirmed that this item was a theoretical paper on a compensation formula for waste delivery not a practical perspective of how this was going to be done.

 

81.7    A member stressed that the model should promote the best transfer option for each area, both economically and environmentally. It was highlighted that there may well be suitable economic reasons for districts to use a particular method but the environmental impact may be much greater. In response officers confirmed there was no ‘off the shelf model’ for determining whether waste transfer is needed, each would be dealt with on a case by case basis, on those specific circumstances. The Tipping Away policy would provide an agreed approach for making payments in instances where a WCA was directed to tip beyond its boundary and where waste transfer was not provided.

 

81.8    It was pointed out that Gloucestershire wouldn’t be the only area faced with similar issues outlined above. If this formula is well established in other authorities; there should be an opportunity to consult and see how others have addressed these issues. This suggestion was welcomed by officers.

 

82.

National Waste and Resources Strategy pdf icon PDF 155 KB

To provide a summary of the main measures included within the new national strategy and highlight upcoming public consultations.

Minutes:

82.1    Andy Pritchard, Strategy & Development Manager, gave a brief overview of the report. It was explained that in December the Government published a new national strategy with a thorough direction of travel on public policy relating to resources and waste.

 

82.2    It was emphasised that this would have fairly significant impact as it sets an ambition for the UK to become a world leader in using resources efficiently and in reducing the amount of waste created. It was also pointed out that the strategy re-instated the commitment to eliminating plastic waste within the next 25 years and eliminating all avoidable wastes for 2050.

 

82.3    Member’s attention was drawn to the following specific points of the strategy:

·         the introduction of a tax on plastic packaging which contains less than 30% recycled plastic;

·         a strengthening of regulations on producers, building upon the ‘polluter pays’ principle;

·         the reforming of waste crime regulations;

·         the commitment to reducing food waste; and

·         Section 3 which perhaps has the most impact on local authorities.

82.4    A member welcomed the new approach on measuring progress. They felt it was an important move to consider impact based targets. The Committee also welcomed the increased emphasis on those producing excess plastics taking responsibility for recycling/disposing of them. Manufacturers have historically placed this burden on the local authorities.

 

82.5    Several members raised concerns that some of the suggestions could have a significant cost implication on local authorities, and potentially the tax payer. The Committee were informed that officers from the Joint Waste Team had attended workshops in the development stages of the strategy, and were encouraged to here local authority views had been taken into account throughout the process.

 

82.6    As stated in the report, there were three streams up for consultation this year; Extended Producer Responsibility, Deposit Return Scheme and Consistent Collection Systems. Officers recommended drafting a response for approval by the Committee to these 3 consultations as they potentially hold a significant impact for local government if adopted. Members agreed that these responses should be reviewed at the next meeting of the Committee (or as the national consultations might dictate).

 

83.

2018/21 Action Plan Update pdf icon PDF 120 KB

Quarterly Monitoring Report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

83.1    Wayne Lewis, Head of Joint Waste Management, presented an update to the Committee on progress made against the 2018/21 action plan. The request to extend the completion date on project 5.1 was highlighted.

 

83.2    Overall, members welcomed the good progress made by the team against each action point. A discussion followed on appendix 2 which referred to a current high level risk relating to budget monitoring and expenditure by Ubico.

 

83.3    Members raised questions regarding Ubico’s involvement in the planning process for new developments. It was highlighted that being unware of new developments beforehand, and thus being able to incorporate the additional need into their financial plan, may be leading to the financial risks and disruption to long-term planning outlined in the report.

 

83.4    In response, members were assured that both the Joint Waste Team and Ubico were consulted on new planning developments, and also that guidance was in place for developers on waste management requirements.

 

83.5    It was noted however, that there are increasing situations where developers are not sticking to the plans agreed. Local authorities increasingly need to take enforcement action where development varies from the submitted plans.

 

 

 

84.

Management Accounts Monitoring Report pdf icon PDF 236 KB

Quarterly monitoring report and draft budget for 2019/20

Minutes:

Wayne Lewis, Head of Joint Waste Management, outlined the report and members noted.

85.

Quarter 3 performance monitoring pdf icon PDF 164 KB

Minutes:

85.1    Andy Pritchard, Strategy and Development Manager, gave a brief overview of the report and members noted the following points:

 

·         There has been an increase in overall waste by around 2.5%;

·         the majority of this waste however has been recycled;

·         the kilograms per household of waste has reduced, this is slight but is going in the right direction;

·         garden waste tonnage was slightly down this year but that is due to the dry summer we experienced; and

·         the County performance on recycling has improved from last year, consistently heading towards the 60% target.

 

85.2    Members noticed there has been an increase in food waste capture and a discussion was held on how food waste could best be tackled.

 

85.3    In response, members were advised that as a starting point, where there is food waste it is much better that it is recycled rather than going into residual waste. Secondly, it was accepted that more work needs to be done to make sure all prevention and reuse/redistribution measures are exhausted before we end up with food waste at all.