Agenda and minutes

Gloucestershire Joint Waste Committee
Tuesday 4 December 2018 10.00 am

Venue: Cabinet Suite - Shire Hall, Gloucester. View directions

Contact: Andrea Clarke 01452 324203 

Items
No. Item

65.

Declarations of interest

Please see note (a) at the end of the agenda.

Minutes:

No additional declarations made.

66.

Public Questions

To answer any written or oral questions about matters which are within the powers and duties of the committee.

 

The closing date/time for receipt of written questions is 6.00pm on 28 November 2018 (three clear working days before date of the meeting). Please send questions to the Democratic Services Unit, marked for the attention of Andrea Clarke (email: andrea.clarke@gloucestershire.gov.uk). 

Minutes:

No public questions received.

67.

Member Questions

To answer any written members’ questions about matters which are within the powers and duties of the committee. The closing date/time for the receipt of questions is 6.00pm on 28 November 2018 (three clear working days before the date of the meeting). Please send questions to the Democratic Services Unit marked for the attention of Andrea Clarke (email: andrea.clarke@gloucestershire.gov.uk).

Minutes:

No Member Questions received.

68.

Minutes of the previous meeting - pdf icon PDF 83 KB

Minutes:

A Member raised a question regarding the emissions figures from Javelin Park on the basis that it was hard to make informed decisions without these comprehensive figures. It was noted that a written response to this question would be provided by the appropriate officer.

 

The Minutes were agreed as a correct record.

 

69.

Residual Waste Treatment Directions and Waste Transfer Update pdf icon PDF 127 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Officers stated that construction of Javelin Park was on schedule and that regular mobilisation meetings were taking place. First waste deliveries were due in March 2019 and full operational capability would be reached in July. Members were informed that the procurement exercise for the waste transfer contract had been completed but the contract had yet to be awarded. The contract award will be subject to a Lead Cabinet Member Decision in December.

 

Members were also made aware of recent developments in the negotiation between Tewkesbury Borough, Cheltenham Borough and Gloucestershire County Council. Agreement had been reached for the amount of residual waste to be transferred.

 

A question was raised regarding the location of the waste transfer sites. Officers reiterated that the new locations would not greatly affect the distances travelled by collection vehicles.

 

70.

Tipping Away Consultation pdf icon PDF 104 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Wayne Lewis presented the consultation document and explained how the NAWDO tipping away policy would work and how it is calculated.

The NAWDO policy was agreed by Gloucestershire County Council, as the basis of a consultation with district councils.

It was also asked that members take the consultation back to their respective areas and engage in the consultation.

Following the consultation, GCC will reach a decision on the adoption of the policy.

 

 

71.

Cotswold District Council Service Review pdf icon PDF 152 KB

Minutes:

Members were given an update on what actions had been taken during the review of Cotswold District Council’s waste and recycling collection service. This included an options appraisal and public consultation on collection methods and on what is collected for recycling. Workshops were also conducted with members of district, town and parish councils. Ubico had been fully involved in the options appraisal that was led by the Joint Waste Team. The consultation results largely pointed to an overall happiness with what was in place.

 

Detailed data analysis and benchmarking of potential policies had been completed resulting in some key recommendations, such as food waste collection remaining weekly and residual waste being collected fortnightly. Garden waste collection may become fortnightly, with a suspension over the winter period. It was noted that there was increased alignment across the county as a result of the proposed changes and there was a clear feeling amongst the committee that greater service alignment remained an important priority.

 

72.

Management Accounts Monitoring Report pdf icon PDF 245 KB

Minutes:

Officers discussed the overspending across the partnership and highlighted reasons why this occurred. It was noted that Cheltenham Borough Council may leave the Joint Committee. It was also noted that Cheltenham Borough Council had to give a year’s notice before withdrawing from the Committee.

There was significant debate regarding how the Committee could improve its offering to its members and encourage others to sign up and participate in the joint initiatives. Discussions were had over the future viability of the Committee and it was agreed that a workshop should be held in the New Year to consider future options.

 

73.

Quarter 3 Performance Monitoring pdf icon PDF 164 KB

Minutes:

Officers informed the panel that landfill use was up slightly this year but that recycling had also gone up. However, recycling rates are likely to have plateaued. Meanwhile, household tonnage has stabilised. It was noted that there was a need to improve the communications regarding recycling rates. Discussion ensued over collection rates in Gloucestershire and it was stated that the Committee should be open to residual waste collections occurring every three weeks. It was further noted that there was a general feeling that recycling remains of key importance to the public.

 

74.

2018/21 ACTION PLAN UPDATE AND DRAFT ACTION PLAN FOR 2019/22 pdf icon PDF 125 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Wayne Lewis informed the Committee that they were making good progress on the action plan. It was agreed that actions 4.4 and 4.12 within the plan (alignment of street cleaning, waste and recycling functions for Cheltenham Borough Council and a trade waste review for Tewkesbury and Cheltenham boroughs) would be carried forward in to the 19/22 plan. A revised completion date of March 2019 was also agreed for action 3.10 (development of a tipping away policy). The high level risks were discussed. These included waste transfer, and had not changed since the last meeting. It was further noted that driver shortages were posing an issue for Ubico.

 

A draft action plan for 2019/22 was presented for comment. A further version would be presented to the February meeting for adoption.